I am a retired engineering and marketing executive for the motor industry.
I became involved with the following health related initiatives through my personal family experience:·
- Downs syndrome
- Respiratory illness
- Special needs care
- Palliative and end of life care
- Mental health care, particularly learning difficulties
- Alzheimer's and dementia treatment and care
- Care in the community, particularly the patient experience.
Because of my family experiences, I felt there was a need for the patient voice to be represented and so I became involved with the following:
- I am a member of my Patient Participation Group at my GP practice
- I am a member of Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Trust, Public
- Members Research Support Group
- I am a CCG strategic patient partner
- I am an associate member of Solihull Patient Network.
It is through my domestic background, as opposed to my professional/working background, that I have become “hooked” on the “poorly patient” and their need to have a voice. I’m an interested carer, who has found navigating a path through the muddle which is our NHS, fascinating. But for some patients, it’s frustrating.
I’d like to help change that.