Ahead of the long Easter weekend, patients across Birmingham and Solihull are being urged to make sure they have ordered their repeat prescriptions in plenty of time.
Some GP practices will be closed from 19 April 2019 (Good Friday) to 22 April 2019 (Easter Monday), meaning patients will need to make sure their medication will last until practices reopen on Tuesday 23 April, or act now to get their repeat prescription ordered in plenty of time.
Dr Richard Mendelsohn, a GP and NHS Birmingham and Solihull Clinical Commissioning Group’s Chief Medical Officer, said: “It is essential that patients with repeat prescriptions ensure they allow plenty of time to get them refilled so they don’t run out over the Easter period.
“Most practices need at least 48 hours’ notice when being asked to provide a repeat prescription, so check your medication now and make sure it will either last you until after the bank holiday weekend, or make arrangements sooner rather than later with your practice for a repeat prescription.”
It is also important that patients are aware of where they can access medical help and advice when their GP surgery is closed.
- Self-care – make sure you have a well-stocked medicine cabinet at home, so you can deal with minor injuries and ailments at home
- Pharmacy – your local pharmacist can give you quick, confidential advice on lots of common illnesses, as well as over-the-counter medication. Find out if your local pharmacy is open on Good Friday, Easter Sunday or Easter Monday here.
- GP practice extended access appointments – some practices will be offering limited appointments, but these must be booked in advance through your GP practice. Find out more here.
- NHS 111 – if you’re worried about an urgent medical concern, or not sure which NHS service you need, you can either call 111 or visit 111.nhs.uk online 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Walk-in centre or urgent care centre – if you have an illness or injury that cannot wait until your GP surgery is open, you can find out the Easter opening hours of these centres here.