Claiming free NHS prescriptions when you are not entitled could see you face a penalty charge of up to £100 as well as your prescription charge.
You are entitled to a free NHS prescription if you:
- Get certain benefits
- Have a valid maternity exemption certificate
- Have a valid medical exemption certificate
- Have a valid war pension exemption certificate
- Have an HC2 certificate (NHS Low Income Scheme)
- Have paid for a prescription prepayment certificate
- Are over 60
- Are under 16 (or 16-18 and in full-time education)
You can use the online eligibility checker at nhs.uk/checkbeforeyoutick to help you understand if you can tick the box for a free prescription and what proof you need to show your pharmacist.